Are you wondering what the best supplements for hunting dogs and other active dogs are? Then you've come to the right place!
Those fun weekend hunts take a toll on your dog’s joints. In fact, hunting dogs can be more prone to joint stiffness, hip dysplasia and arthritis. That’s why it’s so important to take the necessary measures to protect your hunting dog with the right nutritional supplements. No matter if your dog is showing signs of limping and stiffness, or is young, fluid and fresh, supplements for hunting dogs can push back the development of arthritis while maintaining your dog’s health.
Prior to Alpha Dog Nutrition, finding supplements for hunting dogs was like hunting for an invisible bird. In other words, it was impossible; every nutritional supplement out there wasn’t made with hunting dogs in mind. Alpha Dog Nutrition's line of supplements for hunting dogs are unlike anything else out there. But before we get into that, here are 4 important ingredients your hunting dog needs to maintain alpha status.
1. Omega 3 Fatty AcidsOmega 3 Fatty Acids are “polyunsaturated,” which means they are double bonded. Your dog cannot produce omega 3’s naturally because dogs are unable to “put a double bond between carbons 3 and 4.” Despite the inability to naturally produce omega 3’s, they are an important component to protecting your dog’s joints, heart, skin and coat.
Omega 3 supplements are commonly used to treat and prevent diseases, including arthritis. While certain oils contain an omega 3 fatty acid known as alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), dogs are not efficient at turning this type of omega 3 into DHA and EPA. It’s more beneficial to give dogs omega 3’s that directly provide DHA and EPA, such as krill oil.
Krill Oil over Fish Oil
Krill oil and fish oil offer a natural source of omega 3’s containing EPA and DHA. While fish oil gained popularity first, krill oil is quickly gaining traction as people realize the benefits of krill oil outweigh the benefits of fish oil. In fact, some studies hint that krill oil is more effective at reducing arthritis symptoms than fish oil. Additionally, krill offer a cleaner source of omega 3’s than fish oil because krill are smaller, have a shorter lifespan and are not bottom feeders. Bonus perk: krill oil is more sustainable over time than fish oil.
Keep in mind, not all omega 3 fatty acid supplements contain the same levels of EPA and DHA concentrations—and your hunting dog needs more than a basic couch dog. That’s why we made sure to include 150 mg of Omega-3 fatty acids with 75 mg EPA and 45 mg DHA in every portion of Vitality.
Best Omega 3 Supplement for Hunting Dogs: Vitality
Made to Target: Heart, joints, skin, coat
- Krill oil (500 mg)
- Astaxanthin (cancer-protective and antioxidant carotenoid naturally found in orange and red fruits, vegetables, and some fish.)
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids (150 mg)
- EPA (75 mg)
- DHA (45 mg)
Preserve Your Dog’s Alpha Status; Try Vitality Today!
2. GlucosamineHunting dog supplements containing Glucosamine can help relieve symptoms associated with joint damage by giving the body vital nutrients necessary to repair damaged cartilage. Without supplements, cartilage cells continually experience damage, leading to inflamed joints and degeneration. While the exact reason why remains a bit of a mystery, glucosamine improves the body’s production of glycosaminoglycans, a basic building block of cartilage. It stimulates chondrocytes or DNA activity and reduces and protects against joint degeneration.
Glucosamine is naturally extracted from shrimp, crab or lobster shells. This all-natural compound provides additional benefits as it’s essential for the development and health of your dog’s nails, eyes, tendons, heart, bones, ligaments, skin, synovial fluid, and more.
A 2007 study conducted at the College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Georgia, Athens, reviewed 16 clinical trials involving osteoarthritis supplements used to treat dogs. Researchers reported in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association that supplements containing glucosamine offer a “moderate level” of comfort comparable to some prescription drugs.
Supplements containing glucosamine have been found more effective when they also contain chondroitin sulfate.
3. Chondroitin SulfateGlucosamine and chondroitin can offer a powerhouse of benefits when combined. While no supplement can reverse damages or changes to bones, cartilage, etc., they can limit inflammation and increase the body’s ability to repair tissues while making them stronger.
Researchers believe chondroitin may reduce stress-related joint injuries and assist in the repair of damaged connective tissue. So, while pain medication simply dulls the ache, chondroitin can help the body naturally repair cartilage damage and restore joint integrity, while decreasing pain and improving mobility.
While there is still some controversy, a lot of reputable studies have found that combining chondroitin and glucosamine offers uniquely powerful benefits.
Your dog’s ability to naturally produce chondroitin decreases with age, making supplements containing these ingredients even more beneficial for older dogs.
4. MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane)Sulfur is found in nearly every cell of the body; the highest quantities are stored in joints, hair, skin, and nails. Sulfur regulates cell membrane permeability, allowing nutrients to move freely through cells, while removing toxins from cells. Whenever the body removes toxins from cells, the neutralizing compound is simultaneously removed. That’s why adding sulfur to your dog’s diet is important, because it replaces neutralizing compounds.
MSM is a natural compound that contains sulfur and is produced by kelp. Adding MSM to your dog’s diet is believed to offer antioxidant, cell rejuvenate, and joint healing properties. It is also an anti-inflammatory and can block pain perception in certain nerve fibers before pain messages reach the brain. Additionally, sulfur helps the body produce collagen and keratin, and improves energy levels.
Best Supplement for Hunting Dogs containing Glucosamine, Chondroitin & MSM: Free Range
Made to target: Paws, spine and joints
- Glucosamine (700 mg)
- MSM (600 mg)
- Chondroitin Sulfate (300 mg)
- Brewers Yeast Powder (200 mg)
- Vitamin E (100 IU)
Give your Alpha Dog something to bark about. Try Free Range today!
Help Your Hunting Dog Recover FasterResurgance is packed with even more essential nutrients to help your dog bounce back after a grueling hunt, a long-winded game of fetch, or any other high intensity exercise. Essential nutrients such as vitamin C, niacin, potassium, riboflavin, L-Valine, and L-Histidine help your dog’s body recover from activity by replacing nutrients and providing hydration.
For best results, pair Resurgance with Free Range and/or Vitality.
Supplements Made Especially for Hunting Dogs
Alpha Dog supplements are made especially for hunting dogs by dog-loving hunters who have seen firsthand how much certain ingredients can benefit a dog’s long term health and mobility out in the field and around the house. We are so confident in the quality of our products, we offer a money-back guarantee if you’re not 100% satisfied with results within 60 days.